How to reduce Titanium dioxide in your life
- Check your loose powder and other cosmetic ingredients. Choose pressed powder instead. and share use the submission form on this page to share the product. Together we can empower other wonderful women to make informed decisions.
- Check your herbal supplement ingredients! Switch to an alternative product and share with us so we can add it to our database.
- Check your toothpaste. Switch to an alternative product and share with us so we can add it to our database.
Titanium Dioxide – a hormone disruptor and carcinogenic
What is Titanium Dioxide?
Titanium dioxide (titanium(IV) oxide, titania) is one of several natural xenoestrogens found in the earth. It is used for making products whiter and amazingly is considered safe. Most research believes that Titanium dioxide is not a hormone disruptor, but other research does paints a different picture.
- Titanium dioxide is used for cosmetics – it is considered carcinogenic when inhaled, so loose powder could be dangerous if you breathe it in. However, I found titanium dioxide loose in many cosmetic brands including Bare Minerals and Jane Iredale.
- Titanium dioxide is used for making herbal supplements white. Only in very small quantities. Some consider it safe.
- Titanium dioxide is found in many sunscreens and toothpaste!
- Titanium dioxide is found in paint
Titanium Dioxide in Cosmetics
- Jane Iredale – Amazing Base® Loose Mineral Powder SPF20 Ingredients: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Boron Nitride, Zinc Oxide (Ci 77947), Zinc Stearate, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [+/- (May Contain) Iron Oxides (Ci 77489, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288)]
- Jane Iredale – New Powder-Me SPF® 30 Dr Sunscreen Ingredients: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Montmorillonite, Boron Nitride, Aluminum Hydroxide, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract. [+/- (May Contain) Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)]
- Bare Minerals – ORIGINAL Foundation SPF 15: Titanium Dioxide: 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21.8%, Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides.
- Mineral Veil® Finishing Powder: Titanium Dixoide, Zea Mays (Corn Starch), Corn Starch Modified, Zinc, Stearate, Silica, Magnesium Stearate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.
- Bare Minerals strapline on it’s homepage says: “Creators of Clean Beauty” – Free of parabens, phthalates, formaldehydes, chemical sunscreens, triclocarbon, propylene glycol, mineral oil, coal tar, microbeads which is fab, BUT … it has titanium dioxide in it’s loose powder, which you put right near your nose and can be easily breathed in.